Wednesday, October 10, 2012

*Recipe* Pineapple Fried Rice & Beans

This is seriously one of the best new recipes that I've tried in a looooooong time.  It's easy, it's healthy and it's ah-mazing! I pulled the page out of my October Better Homes and Gardens magazine (my favorite!) and it only took a week or two to dive right in.  The main reason that I love this recipe is that it combines two of my favorite ingredients: pineapple and cilantro.  You didn't know that about me, did you?  Yup, two faves, though normally I don't have the privilege to eat them together in the same dish.  The original name for this recipe is Asian-Style Fried Rice and Beans.  Boring.  And doesn't reflect the true beauty of the flavors. I added pineapple to my title but if I wasn't so excited to send you all the recipe, I'd work on a new name for a little bit longer.  Either way, try this -- you'll like it!

Pineapple Fried Rice & Beans

Ingredients:
1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced, or 8oz. can pineapple slices
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 medium carrots, thinly bias-sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 15oz. can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
3 Tbsp. soy sauce (Gluten Free or reduced sodium)
1/3 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1 lime, halved

Directions:
1. Quarter pineapple slices.  In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp. of the oil over medium heat.  Add pineapple; cook about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.  Remove from skillet and set aside.
2. Pour the remaining 1 tsp. oil into the hot skillet. Add carrots; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until just tender.  Add garlic and ginger; cook 30 seconds.
3. Stir in brown rice, garbanzo beans, and peas.  Add soy sauce.  Cook and stir about 4 minutes or until heated through.  Stir in cilantro.  Return pineapple to pan.
4. To serve, squeeze lime over all.  Top with additional fresh cilantro leaves, if desired.

Makes 4 servings.

Note: I added a bit more garlic, used ground ginger instead of fresh ginger, and probably didn't put in a full 2 cups of rice (rather dumped a tupperware of leftover rice).  I also used my Gluten Free soy sauce and it turned out perfectly!



I'm thinking that this dish will make the Thanksgiving week menu once the parents make it to town!

1 comment: