The room:
Our dining room, which is in the front of the house, has tall, vaulted ceilings and a lot of dark furniture. There is a little window seat in front of the main windows that have been decorated, since the moment we moved in, with a few pillows. It brings a bit of dimension into the room but it has always been apparent that long drapes would bring a lot of pretty into the room. Due to the height of the wall, I would have had to order custom-length drapes... not an option ($$). DISCLAIMER: This room is next on the list to be painted. Please ignore the (lack of) color at this point.
The materials:
The hardest part was picking out the fabric. I saved my Joann Fabric coupon for the perfect rainy day and away I went. I stayed in the "home fabric" section because the fabric seemed nicer (read: more expensive) and looked closer to the material that I would expect curtains to be made from. I have no idea if this was the right choice or not! I needed approx. 6 yards of fabric, iron-on hem tape, a tape measure and pins from my new sewing kit (thanks, Joe!).
The process:
I used the dining room table to help make the cut.
After I had two long pieces of fabric, I ironed the hem tape onto all four side of both pieces of fabric. I was worried about this step because I am not in charge of ironing in this family. It took a bit of adjusting (perhaps I just don't know how to use the iron correctly) but the second curtain went much smoother than the first!
Before:
Hanging:
I purchased a curtain rod at Home Goods and bought clip-on drapery rings at Joann. By using clip-on rings, I didn't have to figure out how to fold over a loop of fabric in order to fit on the rod. The clips also help the fabric to hang in perfect folds.
DISCLAIMER #2: It's nearly impossible to take a good picture of this room. The afternoon light streams right into the room but the color just isn't the same once it's dark. Please also see Disclaimer #1 regarding the color of the walls. Perhaps this is a premature reveal but I'm just really excited :)
After:
No comments:
Post a Comment