Tuesday, December 6, 2011

'Tis the Season

I love Christmas.  I love Christmas lights.  I love garland.  I love holiday music.  I love the holiday cheer.  I do not love the Salvation Army but that's a whole 'nother story.  So when The Mister and I returned from our Thanksgiving trip (shout-out to Goldie!) and took the puggle on a walk around the neighborhood, I realized that I was jealous of all the happy families who were outside hanging lights and decorating their house.  This being our first year of home ownership, I haven't had to deal with the every-other-house-on-the-street-is-decorated-except-ours syndrome.  Yes, it is a syndrome, as confirmed by my other Jewish homeowner girlfriends.

So, without discussing my decorating plans with anyone, I purchased this:


Isn't it pretty?!  I think it is the perfect wreath to give our home a little bit of holiday spirit.  I excitedly waiting for The Mister to get home and see our new decor.  Unfortunately, he didn't respond as expected.  "What's with the Christmas wreath on the door?"  Ummm, what?  Argument ensued as we debated whether or not a wreath is a Christmas symbol and therefore appropriate for our Jewish home.  In my frantic state, I pulled out all of our Hanukkah decorations and strew them throughout the house, least there be any doubt:


(notice the two menorahs)



We finally had to go to the ultimate source, MIL, who confirmed that a wreath is a wreath, not a Christmas wreath. Phew.  Not that we cleared that up, out came the decorative balls to fill the vase :)


And one last shot of our beautiful wreath!


The next-door neighbor's skating penguin display has nothing on us!

In conclusion, The Mister is beyond thrilled that he doesn't have to deal with Christmas lights, I am loving our limited decor - although I'm sure the Hanukkah collection will grow over the years - and we are thoroughly enjoying seeing holiday decorations on other homes.  Oh, and by the way, Anthropologie has the greatest tree ornaments... just in case any of you are looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment