Thursday, December 1, 2011

DIY Headboard

I know, I know.  I've been sucking at the blog lately.  But I promise the next post is going to very thought-provoking!  Until then, as promised, I've included the steps to my DIY Headboard that is so proudly displayed in the guest bedroom - which recently hosted it's first post-renovation guest!

The materials are very simple: I purchased a wooden frame typically used to stretch canvas from the local art supply store, a staple gun, 1 yard of fabric and some batting.  That's it.  Picking out the fabric was the hardest part so after I became completely overwhelmed I went for black.  Kudos to you if you're not scared of patterns!


The wooden frame was actually harder to put together than it looked.  Luckily, I found a mallet in the garage that did the trick... or broke it... I'm not sure yet... :)


After the frame is together, staple the batting:


And THIS is how you know when you've purchased the wrong size staples!


Luckily I was able to hammer them in a bit further.
After the batting, do the same thing with the fabric:


Voila!  You now have a headboard!





Fabric headboards are so expensive so this is a great alternative to purchasing.  With a nicer, patterned fabric and a little more batting to make it thicker, nobody will ever know that you made it yourself!  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment