This thing is amazing.
Momofuku, which means 'lucky peach', is a totally hip bakery with four locations throughout New York. I was watching The Today Show one morning when they featured a few of their desserts and I became totally enamored. So, last night, I made the Momofuku Crack Pie, gluten free, for tomorrow night's holiday party. It. Is. Todiefor. And it sells for $44/pie in the store. Whaaaaaat?!
Warning: I was way too excited to remember to take pictures on a consistent basis.
Momofuku Crack Pie
The recipe says it makes 2-10inch pies but I made a 9x13 pan for Crack Bars instead.
COOKIES
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour (I used Pamela's Baking Mix)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup rolled oats (Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oats)
Preheat oven to 375.
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into medium mixing bowl.
In a larger bowl, or your standing mixer with the paddle attachment, beat sugar, brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until incorporated.
Continue mixing while slowly adding dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Then gently fold in oats.
Spread batter into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Bake until golden brown and set, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
Then crumble cookie to use for the crust.
CRUST
- Cookies (see above)
- 1/4 cup butter ( I had to add another tablespoon of butter to make the crust stick together)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Mix crumbled cookies, brown sugar, butter, and salt in a food processor. If you use a blender, do a few smaller batches by pulsing to grind until evenly blended. The mixture should hold together when squeezed between your fingers. Then press the crust into your pie tins/baking dish. Set aside.
FILLING
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon milk powder
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg yokes
- powdered sugar for garnish
Preheat oven to 350.
In a large bowl, whisk sugar, brown sugar, salt and milk powder. Add melted butter, then whisk in heavy cream.
Add vanilla and whisk in egg yokes gently so you don't add too much air.
Pour filling into the pie shell or pan.
Bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 325 and bake until the center is giggly (but not runny) and golden brown, about 10 more minutes. Remove and let cool on a rack.
(this is what happens when you whisk in too much air)
(this is what happens when you overcook)
Chill completely and dust a little powdered sugar over the top. Enjoy!
And now my bars are ready for the party!
This, seriously, is one of the best desserts I've ever made.
No comments:
Post a Comment