Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lesson Learned: Bridesmaids

Blogging live from Raleigh, North Carolina...

Bridesmaids.

The word just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.  At least it did for me when I first started the wedding planning process.  Ugly dress, matching hair, tacky jewelry, chores, bridezilla fits, ... the list goes on and on but never once is a word associated with bridesmaid a positive descriptor.  Why?

We clearly always think of it from the bridesmaid point of view, which involves spending a lot of money on a friend who may not seem grateful.  Here's the Bride's point of view (that's me).

The sleepover the night before the wedding was so much fun.  I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent laughing and telling stories with 3 bridesmaids and 1 that's-why-I'm-not-a-bridesmaid! (jk, KT, I luv u).  I woke up early on the day of the wedding only to roll over and find that my east coast bedmate/bridesmaid was sticking with her timezone and was also awake.  We began giggling like school girls, well, maybe that was just me, until enough time had passed that I deemed it safe to start moving.  The day progressed complete with a bridesmaid (minus 1) brunch, mimosas and a hike up to the venue.  It was bliss.  The perfect way to start a day, any day.  They laughed with me, laughed at me and helped me begin the celebration early.  

That afternoon, as I presented them with robes, they became my (self-named) brothel.  They lounged around me.  Told me I looked pretty.  Inspired me with their own beauty.  And really seemed to enjoy the day as much as I was.  

Time flew by.  

Suddenly, pictures were done, the ceremony was over and the Groom and I found ourselves back in the Cattle Baron Room taking a breath before the reception.  Out of nowhere, my fairies appeared and immediately began bustling my dress so that I could have the dance party that I'd always dreamed about.  Throughout the night, I was brought water, my dress was fixed while I danced, and someone was always near to provide whatever it was that I needed, which was typically just a dance partner.

Moral of the Story:  I get bridesmaids now.  I understand why I asked my 5 best friends to wear a pretty pink dress.  They were more supportive than a Victoria's Secret bra.  They kept me calm.  They kept me on pace.  They made my day perfect with their unending love.  I honestly could not have done it without them.  

To: G, Yael, Sarah, KTC and Jess... THANK YOU.

Sincerely, 

A Grateful Bride

No comments:

Post a Comment